The Associate Director, Athletic Equipment Operations is responsible for monitoring all aspects of football equipment operations in accordance with the NCAA and ACC rules for Intercollegiate Athletics. Duties involve the coordination of equipment operations and maintenance of athletic equipment and the development of budget recommendations for equipment maintenance and personnel support for football. Incumbent negotiates contracts with athletic vendors frequently makes decision by exercising discretion and independent judgment.
1. Responsible for the day-to-day equipment operations of the Football equipment room. Provide expertise and understanding of football program’s equipment needs and assessment of current safety standards and concerns. Manage laundry operations, equipment procurement, inventory control, and oversight of Adidas football allotment.
2. Team Operations: Oversee in coordinating all aspects of football practice and game day equipment operations. Travel with football team to all away contests and arrange equipment transportation to all home and away football games.
3. Compliance: Maintain working knowledge of and adherence to all NCAA, ACC Conference, and institution rules and regulations and to communicate immediately any possible infractions of such rules and regulations to the Athletics Compliance Staff.
4. Level of Supervision Provided: Orients and trains others; assigns and reviews work. May perform work similar to that of subordinates. Communicates priorities and schedules.
5. Other Duties: Other program duties as requested by the Director of Athletics or the Director, Athletic Equipment Operations.
6. Oversees the receiving, issuance, use and maintenance of all football equipment according to established policies and procedures.
7. Receives new football equipment and performs necessary documentation. Oversees the maintenance of current inventories of all athletic equipment supplies related to football.
8. Develops expertise with all safety equipment and stays current on all safety trends as they relate to athletic equipment.
9. Oversees and develops procedures for the inspection of all athletic equipment to ensure high quality.
10. Oversees the issuance, fitting, maintenance, repair and reconditioning of all football equipment and uniforms.
11. Oversee the transportation and implementation of all football equipment at athletics competitions, practices, scrimmages, offsite practices and bowl games.
12. Manages all laundry and locker room operations for Football.
13. Supervises a staff of temporary employees, interns, and student equipment managers.
14. Coordinates the selection of manufacturers for the purchase of equipment and evaluates bids as they relate to cost and quality, as well as, service and delivery schedules.
15. Sends out bids to qualified vendors and manufacturers, and, once bids are returned, makes recommendation to Director, Athletic Equipment Operations for acquisition.
16. Assists Director, Athletic Equipment Operations in conducting physical inventory twice a year and maintains proper documentation.
17. Maintains a continuing and thorough knowledge of all applicable University, departmental and NCAA rules and regulations and complies with those rules and regulations.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 3-5 years of Head Football Equipment Manager experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certification and Licensing:
- Must be certified by the Athletic Equipment Managers Association (AEMA) or have the ability to obtain certification within 12 months of employment.
- Must be able to manage and complete multiple projects in a timely fashion.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and an attention to detail.
- Computer proficiency required, to include experience with Microsoft Office Suite, JumpFoward Equipment Inventory, ACS Equipment Inventory or Sportsoft Equipment Inventory.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions
- Commitment to the University’s core values
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and primary responsibilities of this job classification. Specific duties and tasks may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the job. This is a job profile description and not all duties may be assigned to a specific position in each individual department.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.