The Director of Equipment Services – Olympic Sports reports to the Senior Associate Athletic Director. The Director is responsible for all aspects of apparel and equipment needs for various assigned sports. This position will work closely with another Director of Equipment Services -Olympic Sports and oversee student mangers. This position will collaborate with other Athletic Department staff members on objectives and goals specific to Equipment Services and the Athletic Department, and will play a vital role in the health, safety and well-being of our student athletes.
Sport Responsibilities – In conjunction with the other Director of Equipment Services – Olympic Sports this position will be responsible for the following sports:
- Men’s Baseball
- Men’s Basketball
- Women’s Basketball
- Men’s Cross Country
- Women’s Cross Country
- Men’s Track and Field
- Women’s Track and Field
- Men’s Golf
- Women’s Golf
- Men’s Soccer
- Women’s Soccer
- Women’s Softball
- Women’s Tennis
- Women’s Swimming and Diving
- Adhere to and execute the Department’s apparel and equipment contract with NIKE and BSN and other apparel and equipment vendors.
- Independently responsible for ordering apparel and equipment from season-to-season and as needed for assigned sport programs. Communicate and work with sport programs and business office to ensure budget expectations are met.
- Maintain inventory records for the athletic department using Helmet Tracker inventory program. Pack athletic teams for travel to away contests, and coordinate transportation of apparel and equipment for off-site competitions.
- Coordinate laundry service and other equipment related needs for away competitions, as needed. Issue, launder and disseminate game, practice, and workout apparel and uniforms.
- Fit, clean and repair equipment in accordance with NOCSAE and AEMA standards, maintaining records of maintenance and repair.
- Ensure proper logo on all apparel and uniforms in accordance with the Marshall Athletics Department, the Sun Belt Conference and the NCAA.
Coordination & Administration
- Maintain a clean and organized equipment room and ensure proper storage of athletic equipment used in and around the facility.
- Work with business office to ensure proper and timely payment of invoices as well as assisting in the management and oversight of sport program athletic equipment budgets.
- Assist with the Marshall Athletics Department letter winner program which includes ordering, inventorying and disseminating of awards.
- Hire, supervise and, train and retain and student managers and interns on policies and procedures relative to issuing and maintaining apparel and equipment.
- Report and log intern and student manager hours according to Marshall University Human Resources policy.
Communication & Outreach
- Foster, build and maintain relationships with vendors and sporting goods companies.
- Provide a world class experience and high-level of service to all student athletes.
- Work with coaches, director of operations and administrators of to ensure all Equipment Services needs are met and equipment budgets are not exceeded.
- Responsible for adhering to all Department and University policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.
- Collaborate with other areas of NUDAR on certain projects as they pertain to Equipment Operations
- Other duties as assigned.
- Athletic Equipment Managers Association certification OR certifiable within one year of hiring.
- Knowledge and prior experience with industrial washing and drying machines as well as proper techniques to remove stains from garments, apparel and uniforms
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs;
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- General/basic knowledge on the use of heat presses
- Possess ability to communicate effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts; writes precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Effectively performs duties and responsibilities; displays attention to detail; supports organizational policies; anticipates demands/pressures of assignments and adjusts accordingly.
- Ability to work independently; complete goals, tasks and projects on time
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge or experience working with inventory tracking systems (Helmet Tracker, Sport Soft, Front Rush, etc…)
- A thorough working knowledge of issuing, fitting, cleaning and maintaining athletic equipment as put forward by the AEMA.