Primary Function of Position
Responsible for sport equipment inventory, laundry, and set-up for all activities working out of the Huskie Stadium. This position works in conjunction with Coaches and Associate AD/Brand and Equipment Management in ordering equipment and uniforms, per the guidelines established within the university Adidas apparel contract. Also expected to complete other duties as assigned, per the Associate AD/Brand and Equipment Management.
Reports to the Associate AD/Brand and Equipment Management. Other immediate supervision may be periodically assigned to game coordinators or administrative assistants responsible for various athletic programs. Coaches and administrators expect sound judgment and accountability from this position.
100% Assist the Associate AD/Brand and Equipment Management with daily operations of the Huskie Stadium:
45% Responsible for setup of equipment for team practices, competitions, and events held in Huskie Stadium, the Chessick Practice Center, Ralph McKinzie Field, and Mary M. Bell Field, as assigned. This includes providing guest service for visiting teams as requested. Also included is participation in games management meetings and monitoring home events as assigned.
25% Assist in coordination of all sport specific daily equipment operations at Huskie Stadium including but not limited to laundry service, gear issue, and ordering for assigned teams and athletic support staff.
20% Coordinate and maintain accurate records and complete inventory of equipment/clothing issued, returned, shipped, and repaired.
5% Maintains strictest safety standards and proper fitting requirements for all athletic equipment, making minor repairs as needed or providing replacements.
5% Accept and distribute deliveries to athletic staff. Arrange for return shipping to vendors. Advise business office of depleting supplies
Knowledge And Skills Required
This position requires an individual with the following skills and abilities:
- Highly self motivated
- General knowledge of equipment standards and inventory/records process is required.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and devote time and resources at irregular intervals.
- General knowledge of various equipment requirements and relative safety standards as applicable to each sport assigned in required.
- Ability to make decisions based on what is best for the department and/or program
- Sports facility maintenance experience is desired.
- Ability to effectively communicate through oral, written and electronic forms, and relate well with the athletic department staff, student athletes, and event support personnel and spectators. Collaborate well with game officials, game coordinators, students, coaches and faculty supervisors.
- This person will have the authority to handle issues, disputes, etc., especially when work is on weekends (i.e. soccer and other sport team matches), when the supervisor is absent.
- Have a thorough knowledge of NCAA, conference and institutional rules and conduct the unit within those regulations.
- Ability to work irregular hours, nights, and weekends.
- AEMA Certification preferred, or ability to attain within 6-12 months.
The employee should work effectively with Intercollegiate Athletics, Convocation Center, and Yordon Center staffs to achieve the goals set forth by the division of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- As a staff member within the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regulations, both those general in nature and those which apply directly to your position’s responsibilities. Strict adherence to all applicable governing policies, procedures, and regulations of the NCAA is required and is a condition of your employment.
- Provide support to Yordon Center equipment room as assigned.
- When practical under the circumstances, intercollegiate athletic staff are encouraged to voluntarily attend all athletic events to promote audience participation and support for NIU team efforts.
- Ensure all facilities and storage areas are locked and secured.
- No admittance to equipment areas without consent from supervisor when manager is not present.