Job no: 531162
Work type: Classified Staff
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Athletics, Operations/Infrastructure, Planning/Project Management
Department: Intercollegiate Athletics
Classification: Athletic Equipment Coordinator
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $18.12 – $27.31 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Position closes February 14, 2023
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure consideration, please upload the following with your online application:
• Current resume, which includes dates of employment and clearly highlights the experience that meets the minimum required and preferred qualifications.
The University of Oregon Intercollegiate Athletic Department’s primary purpose is to provide a unique opportunity for student-athletes to be developed, tested, and encouraged to reach their maximum potential in every aspect of their lives. It is the steadfast goal of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics to provide the most outstanding student-athlete experience by helping them to achieve excellence, both in the classroom and in their chosen sport. The department has approximately 250 administrative & classified employees, hosts over 600,000 spectators annually, and represents the University of Oregon in athletic competition with other universities & colleges.
The Athletic Equipment Coordinator is responsible for the daily management of the Hayward Field and Jane Sanders Stadium Equipment Rooms. The position orders all uniforms, apparel, footwear, and equipment and manages budget allotments for assigned sports. They will fit student-athletes with equipment and apparel, work closely with coaching staff during recruiting visits, providing tours of equipment rooms and adjacent facilities to prospective student-athletes, families, and guests. The person in this position will recruit, hire, and supervise student managers, temporary non-full-time staff, and volunteers. Assigned sports responsibilities include Men’s and Women’s Track & Field/Cross Country, Softball, and Men’s and Women’s Tennis.
The person in this position will coordinate the Hayward Field laundry room and the Jane Sanders Stadium laundry operation and oversee the ordering, maintenance, and repair of field equipment and apparel. This position will use an inventory management software program when receiving and distributing products and will be responsible for managing the year-end inventory audit of assigned sports. They will be responsible for home game day locker room set-up and packing for away games. This position serves as the primary Nike footwear and apparel testing contact for the assigned sport, assists in managing the annual department surplus sale, and works with external equipment vendors to purchase equipment within allotments, ensuring contractual obligations are met. This position will assist in the setup and take down of large-scale athletic events as well as hosting post-season PAC-12 and NCAA championships. This work requires the ability to be flexible and involves some early morning and evening hours, weekends, and holidays.
This position is responsible for promoting the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program, including adherence to all department policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the university, Pac-12 Conference, and the NCAA.
Special Requirement: Possess a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain University of Oregon Diver Certification within two weeks of employment.
• Two years of experience in keeping stores and stores records; OR
• An equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing.
• Excellent problem-solving skills; ability to multi-task, work with frequent interruptions, and be an effective listener.
• Energetic, customer service oriented with organizational and leadership skills.
• Ability to keep accurate records.
• Ability to work with student-athletes, coaches, administrators, and other equipment managers with diverse backgrounds.
• Comfortable speaking and presenting in front of groups.
• Knowledge of NCAA, PAC-12, and university equipment safety and compliance rules.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Exemplify a high standard of integrity
• Ability to work as a team member, be self-directed, and serve as a goodwill ambassador for the University of Oregon.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Three years of equipment management experience working with a Division I or professional team.
• AEMA Certified or able to become certified within one year of hire is strongly preferred.
• Experience with game day athletic/sporting event set-ups.
• Knowledge of sports equipment budgets.
• Demonstrated commitment to supporting a championship student-athlete experience.
• Experience fitting footwear and apparel.
• Experience with a computerized athletics equipment inventory system.
• Experience and knowledge of Nike products.
• Experience organizing and managing an athletics surplus sale.
FLSA Exempt: No